Monday, September 16, 2019

What are You Made Of?

     So, you're a Christian, and you're not afraid to say you are, but are you afraid to live like one? Like, really live like one. Not just attending your place of worship, reading the Bible occasionally and offering up prayers when you need something- I'm talking about much more than that. It's easy to proclaim something, but much harder to live something.
     In my recent study on the book of Daniel, I was amazed at the courage a few simple Jews displayed in light of the powerful, pagan King of Babylon. Take Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. These men were faced with a very tough decision- bow and worship the golden image made by the hands of men, or refuse to worship any god beside their Yahweh. The cost of refusing to obey the King's command meant they would be thrown into a fiery furnace, ensuring their certain death. Then there was Daniel. He could obey the King's decree that they should only bow down to him, or face being thrown into the lion's den for praying to God. These were hungry lions- vicious and strong. 
     What was it like for them in that moment, refusing to kneel before that image? And for Daniel- boldly praying in view of critical eyes? What kind of faith drew these men to willingly face a fiery furnace, or a den of lions? These aren't just stories; they are real-life encounters carefully recorded in biblical history. Place yourself in their shoes. Do you have the courage and the faith to willingly face certain death for God? Do you have the faith to believe that He can deliver you from these circumstances that are seemingly impossible to survive? 
     I love how these men believed God would deliver them. It may be easy to believe it when they were safely away from the fire and lions. But in the moment they were led to that fiery furnace and those hungry lions, they could have chosen, right then, to renounce their faith and save themselves. But they didn't. I think of myself in that moment, and I pray to have the same faith, obedience, and courage that these men displayed.
     In light of what they faced, I'm ashamed at the lesser trials I've shied away from out of fear. I've faced difficulties far easier than a fiery furnace or a hungry pack of lions- and I've complained. I've said, "It's not fair!" I've walked away, rather than boldly walked forward. I've argued my case for avoiding hard situations, wishing to be happy and comfortable instead. I've chosen to remain stagnant in this place of comfort and security, refusing to step out in blind faith. And I don't want to stay here- even though it feels nice, safe, and secure. Because "easy" won't allow me to experience the growth God desires for me. 
     Friend- are you afraid? Do you wish for the courage of a Daniel? Are you tired and frustrated with living in your comfortable space, free from any real cost? Maybe God will lead you through fire- I've been there a time or two, and it's a painful place to be. I bet you've been there, too. But my guess is that we will be faced with more. What will you do when the fire returns? Will you run, or will you stay? Will you trust Him to see you through, or will you be angry and bitter that He allowed it? Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were all delivered from certain death because of their great faith. We may not be delivered the way we hope to be, but we know He will deliver us. "Lord, give us courage to have faith with real substance- not a faith that fears!"

     Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered and said to the king, "O
     Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. If 
     this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the 
     burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king.
     But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your
     gods or worship the golden image that you have set up." (Daniel
     3:16-18 ESV).




No comments:

Post a Comment