Friday, October 23, 2020

Neglecting to do What's Right

My personal readings lately have been convicting me of a biblical truth I have often neglected. In an easy to understand message, and yet often overlooked, James reminds us of this very simple truth: "So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin (James 4:17, ESV)." It isn't complicated. It's not a mysterious statement. It's a very straight forward declaration, and one that I often fail to practice in my own life. Because it isn't about me not understanding, nearly as much as it is about my willingness to obey what I already know.

Can you relate? Have you been there many more times than you'd care to remember? You see, the Bible isn't an out-of-date, antiquated set of rules that were for another time and place-it's as relevant today as it was the day it was written. Yet we often want to argue away our sin, because it makes us vulnerable and accountable before a holy God. Misusing company time? Overspending because we covet? Wanting what isn't mine to take? Sex before marriage? "That's so anti-2020", many would say. Shouldn't we try out our partner before we commit to them for the rest of our lives? Shouldn't we make sure there is good chemistry between us? All it takes is a few simple biblical references, to know what God thinks about this vein of thinking-it's sin and knowing what His Word says, yet refusing to obey, makes us guilty and in need of repentance. 

We are a people who embrace a God of grace. A God who forgives us and showers us with His mercy is well within our comfort zone. We love this aspect of God, and prefer thinking of Him in light of His grace and mercy-who wouldn't? And while it really is a big part of who He is, there is much more to Him. By His grace my sin is washed away. His mercy and love moved Him to redeem me through His sacrifice on the cross. But I can't only be a taker of what Jesus has done without giving something back-unless my love is shallow and my heart lacks true gratitude. When it does, I will find myself living with a lack of obedience to the Word of God, and His Spirit within me. 

Here are some less obvious ways James 4:17 may be applied in my life. These may be a little more relatable. I see someone in need and turn my head, knowing someone else will come along to help. I stand in a group of gossipers, and instead of speaking up in defense of the person being discussed, I remain quiet and possibly even join in. I can't afford to buy a pair of expensive shoes, so I charge them because I refuse to deny myself this luxury. I make promises to pray for a struggling sister, then never give it another moment's thought. These are real life, every day examples of disobedience to this scripture passage, and with each, we would be guilty before God. It may not seem like a big deal, but each time we don't do what we know in our hearts is right-we sin. 

The best way to become more aware of this sin pattern, is to give greater thought to our actions. As we discipline ourselves to pay attention, a new habit will be established-a habit that reminds us to do what we know is right. Sometimes, this will require me to re-arrange my schedule. Sometimes, I may have to stop my online window shopping. At times, I may have to either walk away, or speak up-even though it makes me uncomfortable. Acting the way we know we should will require sacrifice. It won't usually be easy, and sometimes the cost will be greater than I anticipated. I can candidly say I wrestle in this area, and often come up short. I write this to my own heart, just as I share it with yours. May each of us put the truth of this verse deep into our hearts and our minds. Starting today, pay greater attention to the choices you make, and ask yourself if they line up with God's Word. When they don't, may God open our eyes and our hearts to making the choice to do what is right-even when we don't really want to. 

Dear Heavenly Father, touch our hearts with this truth written in James many years ago. My flesh wars against doing what is right so often, and I find myself giving in, resulting in sin and creating distance from You, Father. Help me to pay more attention to what I do, and to make the choice to do what is right-not what I want to do. In Your name we pray, Amen!







2 comments: