Thursday, July 2, 2020

Knowing the God of the Storm

     I've had the pleasure of knowing God in very unpleasant circumstances. Is it a different God than the God of my other days? Is it the God that is right along with me, when I'm totally oblivious to Him? Is He the same God that hears my daily prayers, and is the subject of my daily reading? Well, He is always the same God, but He feels so much different to us when we are in the middle of a crisis or a storm. God hasn't necessarily changed in those moments, but my awareness of Him does, and He exemplifies different characteristics than the God of my usual days.
     The likelihood that you know the God of the storm is relatively high. If you're His child, and you live in this broken world, then storms will naturally come into our lives. We can choose in those moments to draw close to God, or we can choose to cast unwarranted blame at His feet. Our petulant nature feels He owes us a storm-free life as Christians. This is a naive way of thinking, and we are so much better prepared if we expect them to come our way, and choose to draw our strength from God when they do. 
     I've been a follower of Jesus for 39 years. I'm ashamed to admit there have been days I've forgotten He was with me. I've been guilty of allowing life's responsibilities and pleasures to crowd Him out of my mind. I've taken Him for granted, even though I owe no one more than I owe Him. He's never left me, even when I took the wrong path and did sinful things. God is faithful even when we stray. The days where storms were absent didn't change who God was, but they foolishly permitted me to take Him for granted, until storms hit my own life.  
     The God of the storm is so compassionate, so full of comfort, so encouraging, so strength-giving, and so very near. I'll be the first to admit that the storms of life are painful, and experiences I wish I didn't have to wrestle face. But I'm so blessed to know that aspect of God. When I struggled with infertility and lost pregnancies, He was my Comforter and Friend. When I wrestled with my identity as a mom and a wife, and needed guidance, He was my Guide and my Source of wisdom and encouragement. When my heart was broken from a broken marriage, He filled the sad places of my heart and whispered words of love and hope. I desperately needed Him, and He loved being needed and wanted by me.
     Friends, isn't it humbling and yet precious to know He wants to be needed by us? I often shake my head in disbelief that God would want me or need me. And I also feel sorrow that storms are often necessary to drive me to His waiting arms. God is no less sweeter or stronger when I think I don't need Him-and I wish it didn't take a storm for me to love Him and bring Him into every moment of my life, no matter the situation. If you've walked through a storm and allowed Him to carry you through, you know the God of the storm. Such precious help and hope and healing He brings to us who call on Him. Forgive me Father, for the days I take You for granted, and I thank You for Your unfailing love and devotion to me. God-You want me- I'm so amazed by that and I'm forever grateful.

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10 ESV). 
The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you (Psalm 9:9-10 ESV). 
When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit (Psalm 34:17-18 ESV).  

Dear heavenly Father, we thank You for always being present with us as Your children, and we thank You for drawing so close when we are in the middle of a storm. Your presence gives us hope, peace and comfort. May we appreciate Your unfailing love for us each day, no matter our circumstances. In Your name we pray, Amen!


     

No comments:

Post a Comment