Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Pain

     Pain. We all experience it to some degree, and it's never enjoyable. Physical pain is pretty fresh in my mind as I just paid a visit to the dentist this morning for pain I've been experiencing. I had a tooth extracted last Monday, and a bone graft in the empty socket. The couple days following the procedure, I was sore, which I expected. But this past weekend (because complications always seem to arise over the weekends- am I right?), I began having throbbing pain that ibuprofen and hydrocodone barely touched. The long and short of it is, I had a dry socket in the extraction site, which is akin to childbirth in the pain department. A simple collagen sponge was inserted into my socket, and thank the Lord, the pain is already much more manageable. 
     Often, physical pain can be fixed with medicine or a procedure, and the pain is nothing but a bad, distant memory. Physical pain is actually helpful, in that it points out a problem in our body that needs immediate attention and treatment. Without feeling pain, we would not be aware that we had a medical need that needed addressed. As much as physical pain stinks, it has a good purpose, but emotional pain is a different story.
     Emotional pain can't be fixed with a prescription or a medical procedure. The pain I experienced after my husband's affair wasn't easily treated and cured. The pain he experienced as a result of what happened in our marriage, also didn't have a quick fix. Our pain was a result of infidelity and broken hearts, but there are other life events that cause emotional trauma and pain. The death of a loved one, sexual assault, and abuse are other arrows that cause deep emotional pain. If only there were a medicine that quickly fixed these issues, the developer would be a rich and famous person, for sure! While physical pain is often cured much faster, emotional pain takes time, effort, and commitment to properly heal.
     There are always lessons to learn, though, no matter what kind of pain we experience. Physical pain allows me to be compassionate when my friend says, "Can you believe I also have a dry socket?" I'll give them an understanding hug, and validate their moans and groans, knowing that they legitimately hurt. I'll offer advice about what to do to get relief, and they will listen because I've been there. Emotional pain offers the same opportunities. I hope and pray to be a voice of compassion and understanding toward others who experience infidelity in their marriage. My husband and I both wish to use our story to help hurting hearts, and make this a part of our ministry for Jesus Christ. 
     What are you hurting from? I'm sure you've experienced physical pain, but are you struggling with emotional pain in your life? In what ways can you use it to help others? In what ways have you allowed it to bring you closer to Jesus? Apart from His loving care and comfort, I would've been hard pressed to ever heal, and I am forever thankful for His help through each hurdle in my marriage, and my life. Any kind of pain forces us to stop and take notice of what's going on. If your pain is physical, listen to your body and seek answers from a physician. But if your pain is emotional, take time to seek real, lasting comfort from the Great Physician- our Savior. He has given us tools we need for healing- in others, in counseling, and through His Word. Take your pain to Him today- He longs for us to trust Him with our biggest difficulties, and in His time, He will heal the wounds we have today. I believe- because I am a living testimony of what God can do!

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." Revelation 21:4 ESV
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3 ESV
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18 ESV
You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? Psalm 56:8 ESV

Dear Heavenly Father, I thank You for being a Healer of pain. Life can be full of many seasons that bring about deep physical or emotional pain, and I'm so grateful for Your comfort and healing in my own life. I pray that others who are hurting will find comfort in You, and that You will use me to help others. In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment