Friday, December 28, 2018

Because of these afflictions...


          I am ordinary. I am not rich, famous, or unusually gifted. I am the typical christian wife, raising kids and running our home. There isn't really anything that would qualify me for a calling to write and share my thoughts, except for my husband's infidelity. So if you can relate to that experience, then we will understand each other just fine. I have many thoughts and feelings rumbling around in my mind and heart, and it is healing for me to share them. 
     I think of this verse found in 2 Corinthians :
for this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, ... (4:17 ESV)
Infidelity is an affliction, alright, and somedays it sure doesn't seem "light." It is painful and emotionally traumatic. Nothing I have ever faced in life felt as awful as the betrayal of my spouse of 25 years. So how can this affliction be considered "light?" But what if my marital trauma makes me more like Christ? What if it taught me how to show grace the way God lavishes it on us? What if, because of this trial, I can point others to the hope found in Jesus Christ? Would it be worth the pain?
     Sometimes, I have to step back, amid the tears and sorrow, and change my attitude towards my situation. I can look at this as a trial (because it is), OR I can choose to see it as an opportunity. These afflictions give me opportunity for spiritual growth. They connect me with others that are suffering in the same way and need an understanding friend. They bring me along the paths of others walking this journey without a Savior, giving opportunity to introduce the Source of my strength. These are things that are preparing me for an eternal weight of glory BEYOND ALL COMPARISON! I know that it hurts, I honestly do- I am in the thick of it as I write. But I will lay down these burdens at the feet of my Heavenly Father, and anxiously look forward to that eternal weight of glory! 
     Don't lose sight of the hope He offers us. Whether our marriage turns around for the better, or our spouse chooses to walk away, our hope remains. We find hope in our Savior, not in our marriages. Humans can mess up anything, but with Christ, there is always hope for restoration and redemption. The message I hope to relay to you in my blog posts is this: our journey is painful, and may seem unfair. But we have the opportunity to reach others, and use this for good. There is hope on the horizon for our hurting hearts. I pray that as we walk this journey together, we may feel His healing touch, and know that He will never leave us or forsake us. He is for us, and He is 100% invested in His children- we can count on Him to carry us through!

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Ruth,
    I'm sooooooh sorry you have to live through this experience! I have been praying for you this past year, for restoration of your marriage I'm glad you can write. I can only imagine how devistating the situation is...forgiveness and rebuilding trust is so difficult and impossible without God's help.
    Go with God

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. I am writing in order- I long to skip ahead. But there are better posts in the days ahead <3 . God is faithful and shows grace beyond measure. Thank you for the prayers! Love to you, and yours. xo

      Delete
  2. Our pastor just preached on this last week. Super helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 Thank you Phebe!!! I love this verse, and find it so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete