Monday, January 28, 2019

Chasing away the Darkness

     I'll let you guys in on a little secret about me- I am 48 years old, and I'm scared of the dark. Not the kind of scared where I hide under the covers, but I don't enjoy the darkness. In the dark of night, I hear the weirdest noises, and my imagination goes into overdrive. There is something unsettling about being in the dark, and not knowing what could be there. Even with my trusty Glock by my side, I still prefer the light of day. 
     Being separated from my husband created a new kind of darkness. Yes, I didn't like being alone in bed at night, but I'm talking about a darkness inside of me. My world was no longer bright, cheerful, and sunny. Instead, I felt gloomy, alone and vulnerable. Just as a dark night can hide a potential threat, the darkness in my marriage created an uncertainty that left me fearful and unsettled. 
     Truth be told, I would much rather sit in a spooky house overnight, by myself, than sit in the middle of a troubled marriage. While my fear is just imagined in a dark house, it's real in a marriage on the rocks. When I can't see what's ahead, I am called to faith, and when my faith is in the Solid Rock of Christ, I have no reason to fear. Darkness doesn't really have power over me when I recognize His ability to banish it, and spill His perfect light into all my unknowns. 
     I think one of the reasons we are uncomfortable with darkness is its ability to hide things from our sight. And yet, when it comes to our lives, we have no idea what tomorrow will hold for us. The future is not known, so we are called to something that gives us the assurance we need- faith! While my marriage was unclear, unsettling, and worrisome, I can rest in knowing my Heavenly Father will handle the stresses of tomorrow. When I can trust Him in the darkest places, my fear will transform into an unshakable faith. 
     In my marriage, I had to come to the place where I rested in His capable ability to handle it. It was terrifying to look ahead, not knowing which direction it would take. But when I saw His precious hand guiding me, calling me to trust Him and just let go, the darkness didn't stand a chance. Instead, I could hear His sweet voice reminding me of this wonderful truth- "Ruth, trust Me, and never forget,  I am the Light of the World. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life" (John 8:12 ESV).

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:5 ESV
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Matthew 5:14 ESV
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1 ESV
For it is you who light my lamp; the LORD my God lightens my darkness. Psalm 18:28 ESV

Dear Heavenly Father, I thank You for Your light- it comforts me in the darkness, and chases away my fears. I know You are always with me. I have nothing to fear when my faith is grounded in You. Help me to remember this when my circumstances seem dark and uncertain. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment