Sunday, January 27, 2019

Where I'm Setting my Mind

     I love big, and I love many. My husband, my kids, my family and friends hold my heart in a big way. I love to do things for them- cook their favorite meals, surprise them with something from Target, or send little texts that remind them of my love. I love things too- food (sadly), places (tropical), my Explorer, a good massage (Gayla- you're the best), and a good book. My laptop is awesome, and I'm a big fan of my own bed. I love my house, and I enjoy going out on our boat. But things are always less important than my people. 
     I put a lot of myself into the people I love. I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking of them, doing things for them, and loving them. And I like to take care of the things I love- keep them safe, clean and enjoy them. I love each person, and to a lesser degree, each thing- but they shouldn't be what I set my affection on. While my marriage was important, it should have taken its proper place after my affection for Jesus Christ.
     The world, including me, gets a lot of things backwards. We have a "me first" attitude, and it causes us to live selfishly, instead of selflessly. Healthy marriages aren't built on selfishness. When I put my own wants and needs first, my marriage won't thrive. And even if I put my husbands wants and needs first, while our marriage will be better, it won't be the best it could be. But when I put Jesus in the proper place of priority, our marriage has the best chance of being the best that it can be. 
     This scripture should be my motto for life: Set your minds on the things that are above, not on things that are on earth. Colossians 3:2 ESV. If I give my Heavenly Father the proper place of authority in my life, all my other relationships will be better- healthier, and more satisfying. When I live and love according to the principles found in scripture, my marriage will benefit. When I look back over the past, I can see where I allowed my priorities to be out of order. While it is natural for a mother to love her kids ahead of herself, if I love the Lord more than them, I will be a better mom. If I love Jesus more than my husband, I will be a better wife. He must be first, and I should be last- loving others more than I love myself. This is the way Jesus lived, and loves. He loved me so much that He gave His life for me. I didn't deserve this love from Him, and yet He chose to give it to me anyway. When I love like Jesus did, every relationship I have will be much better. So I encourage each of you to love Him first, and others next. When you do, you will be amazed at the way it will enrich your relationships, and draw you closer to our precious Savior.

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:33 ESV
He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30 ESV
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. Romans 8:5 ESV

Dear Heavenly Father, help me to properly prioritize my life, and my relationships. You should always come first, Lord, and yet I often fail to give you the prominence in my life that You deserve. Forgive me for my selfish ways, and help me to live and love like You did. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment