Saturday, March 2, 2019

God's Purposes in Bad Life Events

     Why does God allow bad things to happen to us? There are so many painful situations we are called to experience in life, and we wonder sometimes- why me? None of us are untouchable, and we all have our painful seasons. I've seen so many that I know, lately, walk through an unexpected tragedy, and it hurts to know they are in their season of pain. But we all have those seasons, some a little more painful than others. 
     Where is God in all of it? Does He plan these things, or does He allow them? How can good come out of something so bad? We know God is good, and He isn't the Creator of evil. When He created the world, He said "and it was good." And it was good, until the fall of Adam and Eve to sin. In that moment, our world was broken, and will remain broken until Christ returns and makes all things new. Our painful seasons are a result of living in a broken world- a world broken by sin. 
     While God is good, and doesn't create the things that cause us to suffer, we do know He will use it for His ultimate good. We often don't see the good in it for quite some time, and sometimes, we won't see it on this side of glory. But scripture tells us that all things work together for good, for those that love the Lord (Romans 8:28). For each painful season I have been called to walk, I have seen good grow out of them. God is faithful to His Word and His promises to us, and while I hurt in those hard times, I can have faith that He will use them for His good purposes. 
     Are you walking through a hard season right now? You may be facing a marital crisis, an illness, an addiction, the death of a loved one- these are hard spots along the road we are traveling. When we are hurting and suffering, God hurts with us, but He also comforts us and offers us His faithful love and healing. If we are christians, our time of suffering is short in light of what awaits us in Heaven. We can take comfort in knowing that what lies ahead, is so much better than what we are living in this broken world. Our painful seasons are seasons- not meant to derail us for life. We can allow them to help us grow in our faith, or allow bitterness to take root. Just as God wants to turn them around and use them for good, we have to allow Him to do it for us. He will use them either way, but I want to come out of the season with a stronger heart for God, trusting Him to transform my pain into something amazing. I've witnessed it in my own life, and I can tell you He is able!

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." Revelation 21:4 ESV
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. Romans 8:18 ESV
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 ESV

Dear Heavenly Father, I thank You for redeeming our pain, and bringing good out of it. Some points along our journey would be almost unbearable without You, and how You will use them for good. Thank You for carrying me through my darkest times, and for preparing a home for me where suffering will no longer touch me. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment