Friday, February 1, 2019

This Old Man

     This past summer, I was driving home from Home Goods (one of my very favorite places to spend an hour or two), and I ended up crying the whole way home. It was a rainy, dreary day, and my heart was still pretty sore. I didn't cry over a song, I didn't cry because someone said something to me, I cried over an old man. 
     There is an intersection in a nearby city, with a grocery store. This intersection is pretty busy around lunch time. As I was sitting at a stoplight, I see an old man, umbrella in hand, a bunch of fresh flowers and a grocery bag in the other, making his way across the street. He doesn't look grumpy about the rain, in fact, he has a smile on his face. I watch him cross the intersection and start walking along the side of the road. The next neighborhood is probably a quarter mile up the road, and he starts along his way. The rain didn't hold him back, the distance didn't hold him back, and his age didn't either. Wow! Some sweet old lady is going to witness his love for her shortly. I was happy for that lady, whoever she was.
     I wanted that kind of love, too. The kind that doesn't have obstacles in the way. The kind that goes out of its way, to reveal itself in big ways, yes, but also little ways. It's easy to show our love like this when love is new. But when we get used to one another, often we forget to love carelessly- no limits or barriers. Along the way in marriages, we often allow life to create barriers that stand in the way of showing our love- don't! Don't let things take precedence over simple displays of affection. Be that old man, carrying home a bouquet in the rain. Don't let rain hold you back, or anything else. Just show your love faithfully, thoughtfully, and selflessly. 
     This is how God loves us. Nothing prohibits His love. Our behavior doesn't, and I'm so thankful for that. He doesn't get used to us after a while, and change His mind about us. He consistently, patiently, and faithfully showers His love on us. His is the only perfect love there is, and He perfectly loves me. And I remind myself of this on my drive home, and my tears of sadness, turn to happy tears. Because no matter who else loves me, or fails to love me, He always loves me exactly the same. Thank You, Lord for Your perfect, faithful love!

For God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 ESV
So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 1 John 4:16 ESV
The LORD appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you. Jeremiah 31:3 ESV
Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever. Psalm 136:26 ESV

Dear Heavenly Father, people will let us down, and hurt our hearts. We often forget how to love one another the way You have called us to love. Help me, when my heart is hurting, to remember Your perfect love for me. It is never conditional or performance based, and I am so thankful for that. Help me to return Your love, even though my love is imperfect. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment