Saturday, February 9, 2019

I Wouldn't Do That!

     Have you ever sat your child down, and warned them about a certain behavior, explaining the consequences that could come from failing to listen? I know I sure have. If your kids are like mine, they likely told you, "Mom, don't worry, I wouldn't do that." My kids are no longer little, but sometimes I still sit them down and give them advice. And still, most times they will reassure me I don't have to worry about them. But with age comes wisdom, and I know the hearts of us sinful humans- we often have the best intentions of not falling or failing, but we aren't fail-proof. 
     This brings me to a story about Peter found in Luke 22. Peter loved Jesus, and was one of His twelve disciples. He left everything he had to serve and follow Him. And while Peter did some pretty great things, he was still just human, capable of messing up. Jesus knew it, and He knows it about me, too! While they were sitting together, Jesus told Peter he would betray Him- not once, but three times. And just like my own kids, Peter doubted this could be true of him. He passionately argued that it couldn't be so- he said, "Lord, I would go with you to both prison, and to death." (Luke 22:33 ESV). He was basically saying, "NO WAY! I would go to prison for You, and I would die for You. I would never deny You." But we know the rest of the story, and we know that he does indeed deny Him three times. We also know how full of sadness and sorrow he was, when he realized what he had done. He never would've believed it possible, but God knows our hearts.
     What have you denied was possible for you? I am confident that had my husband been warned of the consequences of being unfaithful, he would have reassured whoever was speaking with him. He would have told them not to worry, it wouldn't happen to him. We don't often see the truth of our weakness, and don't believe our sinful nature is really as ugly as it is. We think we are better and stronger than we naturally are. 
     There are things I have sworn I would never do- and I can tell you, I've done them. It's easy to shake our heads in shame at those who fall, and fail to see there is the same capacity within me. While it never excuses infidelity, or any other sin, it does help us to understand we are all fallible people- people that need God to be our strength and His Spirit to be our conscience. I pray for eyes and a heart like Jesus, and if I see someone who falls to sin, that I'll reach out my hand to help them up, rather than shake my head and walk away! Just as Peter went on to do great things for the kingdom of God after his betrayal of Jesus, so can anyone else! I love that our God gives second chances- I'm living proof of this wonderful truth!

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? Jeremiah 17:9 ESV
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10 ESV
For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person." Mark 7:21-23 ESV
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11 ESV

Dear Heavenly Father, my heart is capable of sin and deceit. Help me to recognize that, and to follow You in my life, and not seek my own way. Help me to lift up my brothers and sisters that fall, and not turn my back on them. Help me to know that without Your leading, I could be in the same position myself. Jesus, we need You each moment of each day, in Your name I pray, Amen!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment