Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Picking A Different Version

  When I was a little girl, I had some pretty big    pipe dreams about life. In my mind's eye, everything went great. There were no bumps in the road, and no seasons filled with pain or sorrow. I had fairy tale ideas of what marriage was like. And to be honest, most of my thoughts of marriage centered on the wedding. Most of us girls dream about being a bride, and wearing the fancy dress and planning a beautiful day. But marriage is about so much more than a wedding, and as Hollywood can attest, many fall apart afterwards because we believe the wedding day is our grand crescendo. 
     While a wedding is a special day, and one to celebrate, it's no finale- rather, it's the beginning of learning to serve. It's putting myself after the needs of my spouse, and learning selflessness over selfishness. We don't see these things when we are young and eager to be with our person 24/7; we see with rose-colored glasses. If we could see what would follow, would we pick a different version of our life, if it were possible?
     I've thought of this often, since my husband's affair. Would I wish for a different life story- one that is easier, and less painful? Would I choose a path that was absent of heartache and loss? Would I wish my husband out of my story? And even in the darkest days of my marriage, the answer is no. I wouldn't pick a different story or a different life. If you have lived a fairly easy life, you are missing out on knowing a lot about God. You won't know how He redeems our pain, and turns it into something beautiful. You won't know how closely He walks us through our darkest valleys. You won't feel the comfort of His whispers to your wounded spirit. And you won't know how good it feels to feel His blessings after pain. 
     If you have been betrayed in your marriage by an affair, I pray you'll use it to reach others that are hurting. I pray you'll be willing to share your story with someone who needs to hear the hope you have experienced. God doesn't orchestrate any form of sin or pain in our lives, but He does want to use it when we experience it. He wants us to use it to bring glory to Him. And the more that we allow that to happen, and use our story to help others, the more our own season of pain will heal. This is how He will take our most difficult seasons, and redeem them! So I'm thankful for my life story, and I pray that through it, I will have the opportunity to reach others for good, and His glory!

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. Romans 8:18 ESV
For you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:3-4 ESV
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 ESV

Dear Heavenly Father, I thank You for the version of my life that I'm living. It isn't the easiest, but through those hard times, I've witnessed You in ways I never would have without those trials. I thank You for redeeming pain, and for allowing situations that will bring help and hope to others who are suffering. Help me to have the courage to share my story, and not be ashamed. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment