Tuesday, February 5, 2019

I Can't do This!

     I am a slow learner, but man, I am learning. I think back on a "pre-mom me", and I hear myself saying that I couldn't handle losing a pregnancy- then I walked that journey not once, but twice! I see myself through the years telling my own husband and others I could never forgive an affair, and certainly couldn't deal with that, and what do you know? I think it's our feeble attempt at almost telling God, not me- that is too big for me to handle. And I think that's true, for the most part.
     Life is going to have its share of trials and hard times. It can't really be any different when we live in a world touched by sin, and its consequences. I have wished to fast forward through those more difficult days and seasons, but then I would miss the lessons in them. When it comes to the bigger heartaches in life, we will struggle even more if we don't find a source of strength. The world places a lot of emphasis on physical strength, and while it has a benefit to us, it won't help us through those harder days. And since I go to the gym out of necessity over enjoyment, I'm pretty glad it isn't that kind of strength I will need in order to survive hardships.
     I know people talk about how God won't give you more than you can handle, and I don't necessarily think that is true. Because when we are relying on Him to fight our battles, we will find that our strength doesn't really matter, but His does. I think a better way of putting it is like this - He won't give us more than He can handle. Because when it comes to the really hard stuff in life, like adultery, I am going to need strength much bigger than my own. In those moments, it won't be me that will carry myself through them, it will be my Heavenly Father!
     I think the Apostle Paul got it. He talked about how in his weakness, he could be strong. When I allow myself to be weak, and just give it over to God to handle, I am the strongest I can be! So when people talk to me about my strength, it truly isn't mine you are seeing, it's His! There is so much comfort in knowing that no matter what life presents, I won't have to handle it alone. No matter how I may struggle against the difficult things, I need to remember that if I truly want to be victorious over them, I must let the Source of my strength handle it for me. And I'm learning something else, too -never say never!

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 ESV
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6:10 ESV
Be strong and courageous. Do not fear of be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6 ESV
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV

Dear Heavenly Father, I thank You for the strength You give me. I am not able to do some of the harder things on my own. You challenge us to give up our own will, and allow You to transform us with Your strength and power. I thank You for that marvelous gift- which enables me to handle what I could not, apart from You. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen! 
     

2 comments:

  1. So much truth! We will never know the Lord's strength until we are at our weakest moment and see the magnificent power and strength of Christ manifested in us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly right, Lorie! It's wonderful to witness:)

    ReplyDelete