Thursday, February 28, 2019

God loves Sinners

     Loving difficult people isn't easy, and if I'm really being honest, I find it almost impossible. People who are rude and have nothing kind to say grate on my nerves. I can't even begin to understand people who are abusive to their children or loved ones, and their sin angers me. For those who are unkind to my children, it takes restraint for me to not get involved (because I know they don't want me to)! Annoying drivers don't cause loving feelings to escape from my mind or lips. In short, I see love as something that you earn from me, rather than a way of life.
     When it came to infidelity in my marriage, I felt some pretty unloving feelings. When I thought of the woman that had an affair with my husband- no real love there. When I listened to painful words said to me, they were stored up for feelings of resentment. This is the way of our sinful human hearts. We like to tweak the golden rule to suit us, and make it more like this: do to others what they deserve, by how they treat you. Ugh, this mind of mine is often unrighteous and full of yuck. 
     I often get stuck in these thought patterns and then ask myself why in the world God would love me. Sure, I remained faithful to my husband when he wasn't faithful to me, but I have plenty of my own sin to make me wonder at God's love toward me. It's easy for me to point fingers and think God sees me as "less bad" than the next person, but that just isn't the case. He doesn't keep score, He sees all sin as sin. And for some reason our minds can't fathom, He chooses to love sinners, even while He hates sin. 
     What sin do you struggle with? I have my own list, and it's sadly pretty extensive. I can get caught up in the injustice of sins that hurt me, but ultimately sin is against God. And my sin is just as ugly as the next person. Sin makes me fall short of God's standard, no matter how "big" or "small" it may be. God has compassion for us when we are hurt by sin, but He also calls all of us to confess our sins and repent (changing our behavior). So while infidelity deeply hurt me, it hurt God more. And even while it hurt Him, He loved the sinner no less. And He loves me that way too- without conditions or limits. I won't ever understand it this side of eternity, but one day when I'm face to face with my Savior, I can't wait to tell Him how thankful I am for His unconditional love towards sinful me!

But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 ESV
In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:10 ESV
Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8 ESV
We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19 ESV
By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:35 ESV

Dear Heavenly Father, I can't understand Your love for me, but I'm thankful for it. I love others with a love tainted by sin, placing limits on my love by how they treat me. Help me to throw out the limits and conditions that hold me back from loving like You love. Lord I am so thankful You came to die for my sin and wash me clean. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment